2015

2015
posterity

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Bill Cosby, conference, near death experience, funerals and trips

Alicia and Isaac say that they are carving every one of our 30 pumpkins this year
 This week has been filled with a lot.  For conference weekend, we went to Richfield and met up with my parents, sister, and brother to go to Bill Cosby live.  We really enjoyed it.  It was way too long for Isaac because most of his humor was marriage stuff that Isaac didn't get.  There were parts that made me laugh a lot, but I still prefer Jim Gaffigan, or Ellen type of humor if I have my choice.

crazy kids enjoying the amazing rainbow
 We stayed for the weekend and rented some cabins at Big Rock Candy Mountain, so we could watch conference together.  I had gotten the kids a few conference projects which I enjoyed helping them with. I made clay castles with Isaac and we catapulted battles.  Jessica, Alicia, Audrey and I used my paper cutter a lot and made cards.  I loved doing that with them.
watching conference in the cabin
 During the intermediate hymn, Audrey, Mario and I walked to big rock to see if we could get any cell phone service.  Mario went up the mountain and yelled that he had it.  I wanted to call my mom so I quickly started up the side on a "short cut" route.  It really didn't look that steep but I realized about half way up that looks can be deceiving.  My shoes didn't have good traction at all.  Rocks were loose and I realized I was in trouble.  I could hear Audrey yelling "Mom, you went the wrong way.  That's a terrible way to go!  etc..."  I started to panic and froze up and didn't dare move.  I really felt like if I did, I was going to go tumbling down the mountain and that would be it.  Mario quickly came above where I was and was trying to talk to me but I had my head down and he couldn't figure out if I was laughing or crying at my predicament. (I was crying)  He told Audrey to go up behind me and help me get up.  I started throwing a fit that I didn't want her to because I didn't want her to die with me.  She came anyway and calmly talked me through it, guided my feet with her hands, and got me up where Mario could pull me the rest of the way.  It took me a long time to quit shaking and I was really embarrassed about the whole thing.  And mostly depressed at the thought that 20 yrs. ago, I would have run up that mountain--no big deal.  Now, my mountain climbing days might be done for good.
Isaac, Alicia, Audrey, and Ian on Big Rock Candy Mountain
 On Mon., we went down to Layton for Aunt Doris's funeral.  What a great funeral that was.  It went on for 2 hours (which normally would drive me crazy) but I could have listened to stories about her all day.  She was such an amazing, happy woman that had a lot of hard trials and managed to stay happy through all of it.  I also learned from the stories that it was her that Mario inherited his photographic memory from. 
On Tues., I had to go on an overnight Pocatello trip for work.  I called Sheridean to see if she wanted to come with me just to keep me company.  She did and we had a great time.  I always enjoy my time with her.
Then, on Thurs. Mario and I went on a 10 hr. road trip, with a 3 hour play in the middle of it.  We went to Cedar City again with the Smith's.  I was just there for social reasons.  I decided if we are really going to see all of the Shakespeare history plays with them. maybe I should take a class or something so I won't nap through the play.  I have until next summer to become more Shakespeare savvy and I think I will try my best.  But, I loved being with the Smith's again.
On Fri., Melissa and I drove down to Perry to meet up with Lori, Heidi and Peg for lunch.  I will add more on that later.
Pres. Erickson, Pres. Madsen,  Pres. Randall, Pres. Durrant and wives
The Selvage's came home from their mission on Friday night.  They came over to our house first thing.  I LOVED seeing them again.  I have missed them a lot.  They are such great people!  I had a service project all organized for them on Saturday morning because they had told Mario that they would be home Sunday night.  When I found that out, I felt really bad because it would have been nice for them to come home to a nicer house.  I had a lot of people coming to help but I didn't feel like we could still do it with them being there and trying to unpack. 
Last night was the high priest dinner/fireside.  Mario asked all of the stake presidents of the Hyde Park stake to speak.  The theme was "learning from the past".   It was a wonderful meeting!  Afterwards, someone asked if they could get a picture of the presidents and their wives so I got one with my phone while we were at it.  Mario freaks out when he looks at this picture and starts yelling about how he doesn't belong with all of them. 

No comments: