2015

2015
posterity

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A very memorable birthday!

The van after we got home and most of the stuff had blown off
So-life changed a little for us on Sat.  Mario had his appt. with the visiting authorities on Sat. morning along with 35 other men.  I don't even know what to write on here because the weekend was just so weird and still doesn't feel like it really happened.  We got a call to come back in at 1:05 and we showed up about a half hour later.  One of the seventy took me in a room and talked to me while the other took Mario.  He asked me to tell him about our marriage and how I felt about Mario, how Mario treated me and the kids, what we were doing in our marriage to keep love alive etc.  Then he asked me the temple worthiness questions and brought me into the other room to be with Mario.  They asked us if Mario would serve as the next Stake Pres.  When Mario was called as bishop, he started doing this mother-in-labor deep breathing.  This time, he seemed calmer about it.  (At that moment anyway.)

Us-on the big day
 We of course said yes and then they left and told us that they would be in the next room if they needed us but we were supposed to pray and come up with 2 names of who we would want to be his counselors.  That was stressful and I mostly kept hugging him and telling him that it would be OK  and then we alternated bathroom breaks because suddenly neither of us were feeling so good.
I wish I could get all the family in pictures like this
 They called the Gatherum's to come in and then decided to call the other counselor after the night meeting because they had run out of time.  They told Tina and I that we could leave and go back home.  I gave her a ride.  I don't know her very well but we usually talk easily whenever I do see her.  This time, we were both in stupor mode and didn't say much except "What just happened to us?"
The 1st official portrait of Mario as the new Stake Pres.
 When I got home, I started making calls to family and realized that there would now be a very big family gathering at our house the next day and I was nowhere ready.  I sent the kids on a cleaning frenzy including Melissa who innocently came over to stay with us and I'm sure was not wanting to spend the time cleaning bathrooms.  I met Mario at the Stake center to go to a special dinner and then the adult meeting, where we just tried to look and seem normal.  We really did take turns panicking because I was getting so stressed out that I couldn't sit still during that meeting and he was actually listening.  Then later, there were issues with him. (Roaming around on the back lawn etc.)
We came home and I text ed Audrey and AJ and told them to come home because we needed to have a family meeting.  Mario told the kids and they all reacted like it was very good news, which was exactly what we needed right then.

The next morning, Mario and I went to get in the van and found that my lovely children and Melissa had decorated it for my birthday.  There were big Marshmellows all over it that were flying off all the way to the tabernacle and probably hitting everyone behind us.  I loved that they did that for me though.

We had a training meeting with Elder Foster and Elder Chidister.  Elder Foster's wife was there also and they talked to the wives and told us that people will perceive us differently and that even though we haven't changed, people will pull back.  Friends that once went to dinner and movies with us would not do that anymore.  I came out kind of doubting my own friends and a little depressed.  He said that being the wife of a stake president will often be a lonely calling.  Later, after the meeting when a lot of people were going through the line wanting to congratulate, meet Mario, give hugs, show support or whatever was their reason for coming through--I still had this depressing thought in the back of my head.  Then the Tracy's came through and said something like, "I hope you'll still go to dinner with us."  That was all I needed.  I immediately felt OK about everything and about my own social well-being for the next 9 yrs.  Since then, I've had many friends reassure me, without me even bringing it up, that they know we are still the same people and would love to get together whenever we can fit it in.

I call Sun. the day of 100 emotions:  happy, scared, spiritual, humble, calm, embarrassed, awkward, prideful, sad, inadequate, confident, loved, shell-shocked etc.... I felt them all.

Mario was set apart in the basement of the Tabernacle.  The blessing he received was amazing.  The part that stuck out to me the most was when he was promised that since he would be away from his family a lot, the Lord would protect them both spiritually and physically from harm.  I loved that part!  I always worry about my kids getting hurt.  I guess every mom does.

Later, at our house we had so much family support and everyone brought food for a big dinner.  Mario and I both received Father's blessings that were exactly what we needed to hear.  His had reassurances about his job working out for this calling (which is a major concern of ours.)  Mine had things about me being able to be more spiritual, love the scriptures more, be a better mom etc.  All stuff I could stand improvement in.  I wish I would have asked for Father's blessings more often growing up.  Mario has helped me realize the great thing that they can be.

Shelly and Poppy had made plans to throw me a birthday party/lunch on Mon.  It was so yummy and so nice of them to do.  I always LOVE getting with friends.

That night, Mario invited his parents, Melissa, Pierce and Josh (all surrogate children) to help me celebrate my day-late birthday.  Mario had told me that he was making dinner but it was about 6:30 and he was nowhere and dinner was nowhere so I called him and he had been called to go into work.  But shortly after, Don and Peggy showed up with pizza and the party began.  We played some fun games and then went downstairs to watch the dvd Mario had made for me.  I couldn't believe what he had done.  It became my best birthday ever!  Mario and all of the kids talked to me in their best imitation of Navajo and said (and did) some hilarious things.  I'm going to be watching that dvd over and over.




Some great friends  (Abby and Merinda Larson, Angie Miggin, me, Poppy Allen, Shelly Felix, Christy Tracy

1 comment:

Audrey said...

You don't need much improvement, mom.:)